Druckansicht der Internetadresse:

Faculty of Languages & Literatures

Master of Arts: Intercultural Anglophone Studies (MAIAS)

Print page

Application / Admission Information

MAIAS Major Areas

Application is possible for either the major area “Literature” or the major area “Linguistics.” Please note that you can only apply to one of these major areas!

Admission Requirements

Application Process

All applicants to the MA program "Intercultural Anglophone Studies" (MAIAS) have to submit their applications via the CampusOnline portal of the University of Bayreuth.

The entire application process takes place electronically via this application platform; all documents necessary for application have to be uploaded as pdf-files. Once you have submitted all documents, you will be notified of changes in your application's status via email. If admitted, you will be able to download the official notification of admission. 

Please note: during the electronic application process, you have to provide digital copies of CERTIFIED documents and you will have to show the ORIGINAL documents at registration in Bayreuth.

International applicants please note: you can switch the language of the CampusOnline portal to English by clicking on the icon "de/en" in the top right corner (which consists of two connected speech bubbles).

Depending on country of origin, there are a few differences concerning the application process and the respective required documents. Below you'll find detailed information for

Frequently Asked Questions (After Admission)

Who is available for advice?Hide

Make sure that you have arranged accommodation with Studentenwerk Oberfranken as early as possible after gaining admission, long before traveling. There is no assurance of accommodation after your arrival at Bayreuth. An address in or around Bayreuth is necessary for enrolment. You should contact the International Office for official matters. You should also contact the international students service team BISS through the International Office web page. You should get in touch with this team by e-mail before your arrival in Bayreuth. A member may be able to pick you up at the central station when you arrive.

What documents do I need to bring with me?Hide

Apart from identification documents and letter of admission, most important is evidence of health insurance. If your home country has a social insurance agreement with Germany, fill in form E111/E128. If you are privately insured in your home country, you need the form "Certification". If you have no adequate insurance, you may insure yourself for instance with "Techniker Krankenkasse" in UBT central administration building, upper floor, or during the introductory programme for international students.

How and where do I enroll?Hide

Enrollment or matriculation takes place at "Studierendenkanzlei", central administration building. In order to enrol, you need to show evidence of payment of the contribution to "Studentenwerk", as well as evidence of health insurance and the UBT letter of admission. Important: At the beginning of your studies, you should submit evidence of a completed BA thesis to the moderator, if you have written such a thesis at your previous university. If no evidence is submitted and accepted, you will write a seminar paper in each of two Advanced Seminars, of your choice, in first and second semester.

How should I choose courses for the coming semester?Hide

You should consult the pdf file “Course Commentary” (“Kommentiertes Vorlesungsverzeichnis”) on the department homepage (right-hand column, “news”), especially the MAIAS section. Then compare the lectures and seminars offered with the MAIAS curriculum (plan of studies) to fill the single modules. You have a range of choices within most module categories, depending on your interests. See the MAIAS moderator in the introductory meeting and/or right afterwards the MAIAS student assistant to get further advice for your course choices.

Where can I find information about language courses?Hide

The Language Center is located on the ground floor of the Faculty building (GW1). Electronic registration for language courses and for "Style and Register" is compulsory, before or at the beginning of lecture time in any semester; see instructions on Language Center web site. Ms. Mary Redmond (Language Center, English) is available for consultation if you are not sure about the procedure.

Webmaster: Univ.Prof.Dr. Sylvia Mayer

Facebook Twitter Youtube-Kanal Instagram LinkedIn UBT-A Contact